|Publishers Home History Glossary Guides Artists Topicals Collecting Blog Calendar Contact|
N - PUBLISHERS
Paul Nadar 1874-1939
The son of the Famous French photographer Felix Tournachon (Nadar). Paul began working at his father’s studio in 1874. He investigated the many possibilities of photography such as capturing views from hot air balloons. In 1890 he made a trip to Central Asia using George Eastman’s new flexible bromide film. The collaboration worked so well that Nadar became the representative for Kodak products in France. Both Paul and his father photographed many famous people of their time but Paul’s emphasis on those at the cutting edge of society strained their relationship. Paul not only produced portraits of celebrities of the stage, he hosted the first exhibition of Impressionist painters.
In the 1920’s a good number of real photo postcards were produced under the Nadar name, most of them of full nudes with some of them having hand coloring. But there is serious doubt to whether the cards of nudes were actually made from Nadar’s photographs. Another unknown publisher may have borrowed Nadar’s logo to enhance the prestige of these cards and make them more sellable.
Shlomo and Sonja Narinsky 1905-1960
These husband and wife photographers migrated to Palestine from Russia in 1905 where they set up United Photography, a studio in partnership with Yancov Houtimsky producing many views. They later settled in Cairo, Egypt after being expelled by the Ottoman regime in 1916 but they returned to Jerusalem after the end of the First World War. While in Egypt Sonja as a woman gained access to local harems and produced the first intimate photo portraits of Arab women. She continued this work back in Palestine producing 117 images that were reproduced as roto-gravure postcards by the printer Jumal Brothers in 1921. These cards were titled in Arabic, English, and Hebrew but not always with the same meanings. Many of these images were also reproduced in books. They eventually moved to France and set up a new studio in Paris in 1932. Arrested by the Nazis during the Second World War, they were exchanged and moved to back to Palestine.
E. Nash Co. (1908-1910)
A well known illustrator and publisher of high quality holiday cards.
National Art Co. (1876-1930)
In addition to prints they published view-cards, animal, greeting, and holiday postcards, many of which were artist signed. Archie Gunn was one of their more notable artists.
National Art Views Co. (1902-1904)
An important early publisher of view-cards. There earliest cards were printed as tinted halftones and they sometimes had unusual decorative borders.
Even though short lived they went on to publish a large number of more finely printed view-cards as in sepia and black & white, collotypes, some with hand coloring. These cards were printed in Germany. Purchased by the Rotograph Company in 1904 who reproduced most of their images under the Rotograph name.
National Colortype Co. (1906-1926)
A printer and publisher of view-cards depicting scenes from Pennsylvania to Texas. These lithographic cards were printed in black & white halftones with crude hand coloring added in broad swatches to only selective areas. They were purchased by Grote Industries.
National Woman’s Suffrage Publishing Co., Inc. 1914-1920
Pamphleteering had been a tool long used by the Suffrage movement. After the American Woman’s Suffrage Association and the National Woman’s Suffrage Association merged in 1890 to form the National American Suffrage Association, they increased their output of printed mater. By 1914 the organization decided to form their own publishing firm, which produced pamphlets, news releases, posters, postcards, the magazine The Woman’s Journal, and copies of the proposed 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. These items were used to spread the word of their cause, as well as to sway the votes of politicians. After the 19th Amendment passed in 1920 the NAWAS reorganized itself into The League of Woman Voters.
A. Negus 1903-1938
R. Adelbert Negus was the principal photographer on Block Island during the heyday of postcards. He purchased the Morton Cottage on the Old Harbor waterfront in 1903 from which he sold tintype portraits, photographs, and view-cards. He became the local agent for Eastman Kodak. Soon Negus expanded selling all sorts of goods from his store that might appeal to summer visitors. He printed his postcards as sepia collotypes though the American News Company also used his photos to create Litho-Chrome cards.
This publishing house was founded by Edward Nels in 1898 Their goal was to spread geographic knowledge while producing maps, guide books, and photographic and printed souvenirs. They soon became the largest producer of postcards in Belgium, and they also published many cards of the Congo and of Luxembourg. Though they produced a variety of card types, most were as collotypes, many of which were hand colored in a dull pallet. Ernest Thill, who had ben the manager of the firm took over from Nels in 1913 and added his name to the company. In the 1960’s to 1975 they were purchased by a French firm, but they are now publishing postcards under their own name again, though for the most part they are now printed in Italy.
C.M. Nelson (1906-1910)
A photographer who turned many of his images into real photo postcards. Nelson is best known for his views of New England and New York printed with large birch bark borders. These borders were not uniformly hand drawn but were photographs themselves and unique to each individual image they were paired with. Many of these cards were distributed by the R.C. Co. of Boston.
Nenke & Ostermier (1880’s-1941)
They produced various printed materials including postcards utilizing the a version of the photochromie process that they patented. Most of their cards were of views including many generics. They also created a large postcard set based on one of their early books depicting 500 Alpine flowers. They also produced many Dutch scenes. The bright clear colors on these cards makes many stand out and gives them a more modern look. Photochromies were expensive to make but they sold as higher quality cards.
Neue Photographische Gesellschaft AG 1894-1948
The New Photographic Society was a member organization of photographers founded by Arthur Schwarz. In 1894 their 35 members turned the group into a Limited Corporation. Their members published many real photo postcards and stereo-views, and they manufactured photo paper as well. They also printed real photo cards for other companies such as Rotograph and became the largest manufacturer of bromide postcards in the world. As demand for postcards grew they started publishing artist signed cards as tinted halftones. In 1922 they were taken over by Mimosa who carried on their name until 1948, but their postcard department was incorporated into E.A. Schwerdtfeger, Ltd. who continued producing their cards until the Second World War.
Rodolphe Neuer (1912-1914)
A photographer who published heavily retouched photo-chromolithographic postcards. These cards depicted ethnic nudes and scenes from daily life in North Africa. He was also a local distributor of stereo-views for Lehnert & Landrock. Neuer remains a mysterious figure and there is some speculation that his name was an alias for Rudolf Lehnert.
Neurdein et Cie (1860’s-1919)
The Neurdein Studio was founded in 1864 by Etienne Neurdein, son of the French pioneer in photography, Charlet. His brother Antonin managed the studio by himself for a number of years but after 1887 they ran the company together. They produced large quantities of stereo-views and lantern slides depicting scenes in Europe and French North Africa that became more tourist oriented in the 1870’s. Many of these images would later be printed in heliographed albums. They went on to publish many continuous tone, monochromatic postcards of urban French views, nudes, panoramas, military themes, and many scenes from various French colonies and Quebec, Canada. They also provided photographs of paintings for many art cards. Many of their postcards neither carry a name or logo but just the letters N D. In 1920 they united with Levy Sons & Co. to form Levy & Neurdein reunis. Their negatives are now owned by the Roger-Viollet Photographic Agency.
Neuner Printing & Lithograph Co. (1901-1938)
Neuner had been a book binder since at least 1887 when he merged in 1894 with the printing division of Out West Company to become Kingsly Barnes & Neuner, Ltd. This merger lasted until 1901 when he started his own printing firm. Among the many commercial items he produced were postcards in tinted halftone.
J.J. Newberry & Co. 1911-1961
A chain of Five & Dime stores founded by John Josiah Newberry. They published a variety of postcard types over the years. They had grown from 7 stores across Pennsylvania 1n 1918 to 565 stores nation wide when they were purchased by McCrory in 1961.
O. Newman Co. (1904-1918)
Founded by Oscar Newman, this company published postcards in hand colored collotype and tinted halftones, consisting mostly of holiday cards and views of southern California. They also published a set on the San Francisco earthquake and the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition. Some of their cards were printed with the Newman Post Card Co. logo on them.
Newman Post Card Co. (1907-1960’s)
A publisher and printer of postcards in tinted halftone, mostly views of southern California, with some cards of Hawaii and Nevada and the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition. They were related to the O. Newman Company. Acquired by H.S. Crocker in the 1960’s.
New England News (1904-1924)
An important distributor of postcards for the American News Company. They also published many of their own white border tinted halftone view-cards of New York and New England. These postcards were printed in Leipzig and Dresden, Germany.
New Jersey Post Card Co. (1915-1918)
A publisher of view-cards depicting scenes in northern New Jersey. Most of these cards had white borders and were printed by Curt Teich.
New Orleans News Co. (1885-)
A publisher and distributor of maps, guides, and postcards of Louisiana for the American News Company. Most of their cards depicted scenes of New Orleans.
New York Central Railroad 1831-1968
A major railroad line in the Northeast. Their most famous train was the 20th Century Limited that ran between Grand Central Station in New York City and LaSalle Street Station in Chicago. This express train began operations in 1902 and in 1906 the Railroad instituted a giveaway program of postcards to their passengers. These first cards issued were polychromes of scenes along their Water Level Route through the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys. The Rochester News Company, a subsidiary of the American News Company produced many of these cards. The Detroit publishing Company would later contract cards out to the Railroad. The beauty of the cards were used to reinforced the romantic notions of traveling by this Line. This renowned train ended its service in 1967 and a year later the Company merged with their chief rival, the Pennsylvania Railroad, to become Penn Central.
New York Edison Co. 1901-1920
This utility company was formed as a conglomerate out of the many gas and electric companies that were in business in New York at the turn of the 20th century. They published a series of halftone lithographic postcards depicting scenes of New York at night under electric light illumination. Since they were promoting a product rather than tourism many of their compositions are untypical. As they continued to buy up more of their competitors they changed their name to Consolidated Edison in 1920.
New York Gravure Corp. (1908-1936)
Printers of high quality illustrated images in photogravure for books and postcards.
New York, Ontario & Western Railway 1880-1937
This railway formed after the takeover of the N.Y. & Oswego Midland Railroad. Under the leadership of Thomas P. Fowler the railway not only expanded its services in delivering dairy and coal, but began looking toward tourism, especially with the new resort hotels springing up in the Catskill and Shawangunk Mountains to gain further revenue. With a new emphasis on tourism the railway began to publish view-cards of the scenic places along its routes and of its resort destinations. Because this railroad operated in very difficult terrain it was costly to build and maintain. As coal prices dropped and the resorts slowly closed during the Great Depression the railway fell on hard times and became known as the Old & Weary. It filled for reorganization in 1937 and was finally liquidated in 1957.
New York Zoological Society 1895-1993
This organization is more commonly referred to as the Bronx Zoo which opened in 1899. They published guides and a great many postcards of zoo animals through a variety of printers. The Rotogravure Company printed a fine collotype card set for them in black & white and with color tints though their name does not appear on these cards. The Detroit Publishing Company also produced sets for them on depicting sea creatures found at the New York Aquarium. They became the World Conservation Society in 1993 running a number of different institutions that protect animals.
Niagara Lithograph Co. 1896-1990’s
Hugh M. Clay had worked in lithography shops for ten years before going into partnership with Herman Cosack in 1864 to form Clay, Cosack & Company. They printed a variety of lithographic products, which included trade cards by 1870. Clay left the firm to start a new partnership with Henry A. Richmond in 1879 to concentrate on printing chromolithographic trade cards and labels. When Clay retired in 1886, Clay & Richmond became the Richmond Lithographing Company. In 1896 the firm’s name was changed to the Niagara Lithograph Company after it was purchased by Hugo R. Monro, John J. McWillams who served as president, and his son-in-law Horace Reed. After McWilliams death in 1912, Reed took over the company. They printed on both paper and metal for a variety of products ranging from prints to postage stamps. Little is known about their involvement in postcard production.
W.H. Nigh & Sons, Ltd. 1903-
A publisher and printer of local view-cards. They began by producing black & white and monotone postcards in photogravure, and then added real photo cards, some of which were hand colored. Some of these cards were multi-views centered on a coat of arms. They gave up these techniques when they took up printing photochromes. Their factory is located in the middle of a forest preserve as part of an effort during World War Two to protect industry from German bombers.
Ernest Nister 1877-1909
Nister began his life in printing when he took over a lithography shop in Nuremberg in 1877. His success led him to open a branch in London in 1888. Nister is famous for the many mechanical children’s books he published between 1891 and 1900. His fine illustrations carried over onto many early artist signed postcards produced in chromolithography. Many other topics were also published such as animals, children, decorative mottos, literary figures, historical scenes, humor, and of corse mechanical cards. Nister produced postcards for a number of different publishers. All printing was done in Bavaria.
Bernhard Nohring 1871-1938
John Nohring had wished to study art but his family’s finances prohibited him from entering the Academy. Instead he became a photographer in 1871, mainly reproducing images of artwork and architecture. Two years later he expanded this business into publishing, which would eventually lead to the production of postcards. John died in 1913 but his son Bernhard continued to run the publishing business.
Nomis Mfg. Co. 1915-1930
Published black & white lithographic halftone postcards depicting views of the eastern United States. Many of their images were crudely colored with a limited pallet, possibly through the use of airbrush ans stenciling.
Nordisk Konst (1925-1936)
A large publisher of postcards in photo-chromlithography, black & white collotype, and as real photo cards. They covered a wide variety of subjects including views, movie stars, and holiday cards.
North American Post Card Co. (1911-1926)
Published real photo postcards of the Mid-West, Western themes, and famous personalities of the American West. Many of these real photo postcards were made from images supplied by William H. Martin.
North German Lloyd Line 1857-1970
A steamship line formed by the merger of four smaller lines in 1857. In 1858 they began trans-Atlantic service to New York followed by routes to other continents. By 1893 they had 80 ships in service and would soon begin a tradition of publishing postcards depicting them. A notable set combines portraits of German Royalty alongside their ships. Images of their ports of call were also produced. When the First World War broke out many of their ships took refuge in American ports only to be seized when the United States entered the War in 1917. All of their remaining vessels were taken from them after the War for reparations. By 1920 they began to lease ships and eventually built up a new fleet, but the same scenario played itself out in World War Two and they had to start over again once more. In 1970 they merged with the Hamburg American Line to become HAPAG-Lloyd. Because they produced postcards throughout their long history these cards were printed in a wide variety of methods and styles.
Norwood Souvenir Co. (1910-)
Publisher of regional view-cards in halftone lineblock over a monochrome tint. Some cards had hand coloring.
Novelty Mfg. & Art Co. Ltd. (1912-1926)
A publisher of national view-cards of Canada and Western Canadian themes in tinted halftone.
Noyer Studio (1910-1940’s)
A large photo studio supervised by the well known photographer Alfred Noyer. Many of his early cards were photo reproductions of drawn, painted, or sculpted artworks printed in halftone lithography. He also produced illustrated photo cards of the First World War, many with heavy patriotic or allegorical themes. By the 1920’s he began producing cards of children and women, many of which were nudes or risque images. His boldly hand colored seaside figures became his most recognized style. Many of his photos from this time were heavily toned in blue or sepia. Noyer was a member of the Salon de Paris. He photographed paintings for the Salon and other institutions for the production of art cards. While many cards carry his distinctive logo or his name, others are just marked AN.
Noyer took advantage of the popularity of postcards to expand his business beyond photography to produced a range of lithographically printed artist signed postcards such as his Collection Humoristque. Noyer was a member of the Salon de Paris.
Everett I. Nye (1910-1920)
Nye, who owned the iron works on Commercial Street was an important member of the Wellfleet business community. He published many view-cards depicting the Wellfleet area of Cape Cod. These cards were produced through a number of different printers.