|Publishers Home History Glossary Guides Artists Techniques Topicals Warfare Blog Contact|
K - PUBLISHERS
A. Kagen (1912-1916)
Published view-cards of northeastern Massachusetts. They originally operated from Chelsea.
Anton Kalland (1890’s-1933)
A photographer of remote views who turned many of his images into black & white and tinted collotype postcards.
Kamigataya Ginza (1920’s)
A publisher of picture books and postcards, founded by Yoshimura Kiyobei during the Taisho Era. They produced lithographic reproductions of famous japanese woodblock prints, especially of Yakusha Hagaki, those expressive portraits of actors. Some of these portraits were also made as real photo postcards.
Kansas Post Card Co. (1908-)
A publisher of postcards. Many of their early hand colored view-cards were manufactured in Germany.
Kardollette, Inc. (1950’s)
Published black & white view-cards of New York City in an extreamely fine collotype. The graphics on their cards were not of high quality. These cards were printed in the United States.
M. Kashower Co. (1914-1934)
These publishers used a variety of printers to produce their comic cards, holiday greetings, and view-cards of southern California.
Louis Kaufmann & Sons (1911-1937)
A publisher of regional view-cards capturing scenes from Virginia to Pennsylvania. They also printed postcards depicting Blacks and naval ships. These cards were printed as monotones and tinted halftones. Many of their images were contracted out to Curt Teich.
Founded by Edgar J. Kaufmann, Sr., this department store grew into a chain throughout the East coast. They were an early publisher of postcards beginning with private mailing cards in halftone line block on textured paper. In 1946 they were acquired by the May Company and subsequently changed hands and names a number of times.
August E. Kaulfuss (1896-1909)
A photographer that began work in Silesia in 1876. By 1883 Kaulfuss moved emigrated from Frankfort to Peanang where he set up a studio. He published many of his views of Maylay as printed postcards in tinted collotype. These cards were manufactured in Germany.
A. Kayser (1890’s)
Owner of the Oakland Journal newspaper. He published black & white pioneer cards consisting of eight sets of California scenes and one set depicting Yellowstone National Park. Additionally he published many advertising cards. Kayser is suspected of using stolen photographic images for his cards. The business was sold to Edward H. Mitchell in 1898.
Kent & Lacey (1894-1911)
Photographers William Hardy Kent and Seymour Lacy published their images of local views as printed postcards. These tinted collotype cards were printed in Germany.
Kerry & Co. 1875-1928
Charles Kerry was an important early photographer of Australia. He began his career working at the photo studio of A.H. Lamartiniere producing carte de visite portraits and some views around Sydney. His portrait work of Aborigines for the Colonial and Indian Exhibition of 1886 led to his appointment as the official photographer to the Governor of New South Wales in 1890. Kerry captured a number of rare views during the expeditions he was assigned to, and he is especially noted for his innovative photos of the Jenolan and Yarrangobilly caves. Kerry acquired the negatives of Henry King and added a number of other photographers to his staff so by 1898 he had the largest studio in Australia. Many of his photographs were now being turned into black & white postcards printed as fine collotypes. Cards were also produced of the Great White Fleet when it arrived in Sydney in 1908. In 1913 he left his company in favor of his mining interests, though he still made two long trips to photograph the Islands of the Pacific and the Great Barrier Reef.
C. Kersten & Co. 1768-
Established in 1768 by Moravian missionary Christoph Kersten as a tailor shop. This business expanded into trading and merchandising and became an early publisher of very fine black & white and chromolithographic postcards depicting local scenes and types.
This printing firm was founded by the steel plate engraver Eugene Ketterlinus in 1842, and primarily produced music covers and product labels in lithography. After retiring in 1875 his son John continued to run the business under the name Ketterlinus Printing House, and they expanded into printing chromolithographic posters and trade cards. In 1896 they changed their name to the Ketterlinus Manufacturing Company.
An important printer of fine lithographic cards in both continuous tone and halftone. Many cards were made depicting scenes from the First World War. They later printed postcards for artists of the Wiener Werkstätte such as Moriz Jung, Karl Schwetz, and Franz Susser.
Kingston Souvenir Co. (1908-1929)
Published view-cards of the upper Hudson Valley in tinted halftone. Some of their cards have a large swastika on back in place of their normal trademark. They used a variety of printers to produce their cards, including Curt Teich.
Fred Morgan Kirby 1887-1997
A publisher and large retailer of postcard views of the American South and mid-Atlantic region. These cards were sold from their Five & Dimes stores which numbered 96 in 1912.
C. Kirsinger & Co. (1909)
Important publishers of view-cards depicting scenes in Chile. They were printed in black & white and tinted collotypes with an extra blue plate. This firm also had branches in Valparaiso and Concepcion.
Kiser Photo Co. 1905-1918
Fred H. Kiser, who had originally studied business law, was an avid hiker and photographer. He set up a studio with his brother Oscar in 1902 that was formalized into Kiser Bros., Scenic Photographers in 1904, producing photos, stereo-cards, and hand colored lantern slides. They would also publish souvenir books of Crater Lake and the Lewis and Clark Exposition after Fred became their official photographer. With his career rising Fred broke the partnership with his brother in 1905 and established the Kiser Photo Company. They became well known for their hand colored photos, labeled Artographs, taken during expeditions they launched into remote mountain ranges. Much of this work was used by railroad companies; especially the Great Northern for whom he became their official photographer. Kiser coined the phrase See America First in 1906 as part of the railroads publicity campaign. In 1909 they supplied him with a private railway car to work from, which helped establish Glacier National Park. He would continue to work in these environs for six years turning many of his images into printed and real photo postcards. The mountain photographer Clarence L. Winter joined them in 1911. He would eventually become a partner, but when Kiser need to work on the Columbia River Highway project, he sold the studio to Winter. After their colorist Frederick P. Luetters joined the Army in 1918, the studio was closed and sold to Gifford & Prentiss.
After World War One, Kiser went on to establish the Scenic America Publishing Company. He would be the first to create hand colored photos of Crater Lake, and became concessionaire there in 1921. Although he had sold his early negatives to Winter and Gifford, he retained copies and continued to use them. Many of his photographs were turned into real photo postcards by the Sawyer Company. This business went into bankruptcy in 1927 after disagreements with his partners. Subsequent efforts to establish a new business also failed and he moved to Los Angeles.
Jadu Kissen (1910-1920’s)
A photographer of views and types of India. He turned many of his images into black & white, monotone, and tinted collotype postcards. Kissen is best known for his Archeological series that captured archaic landmarks.
Ludwig Klement (1898-1916)
A publisher of art cards, real photo cards, and view-cards including early Gruss aus. Many of these were printed as hand colored collotypes and in monotones.
Knackstedt & Nather 1889-1910
This firm was founded by Wilhelm Georg Ludwig Knackstedt and Hermann Gustav Nather in 1889 as a commercial photography studio. After Nather left around 1893, Knackstedt expanded into collotype printing. Their earliest work depicting German views was in black & white, but in 1898 they introduced view-cards with scenes in monochrome collotype surrounded by elaborately drawn chromolithographic borders. That same year they began printing stereo-views in postcard size.
Around 1900 they began printing tinted collotypes using up to ten hues in their Chromo-Lichtdruck process. These Machine Colored Chromo cards had a very distinct sky and were used on cards depicting scenes all over Europe such as those by the French publisher Lucien Levy. In 1904 Ludwig Knackstedt teamed up with the photo manufacturer Arthur Schwarz of Neue Photographische Gesellschaft to form their own publishing company. This became the Rotograph Co. in New York City, which quickly bought out the National Art Views Co. in order to immediately have a large stock of American views on hand. While Rotograph produced a large variety of postcard types, their G series has the look of Knackstedt’s tinted collotypes. Though they were already one of the largest collotype printers in Germany they increased their printing capacity by taking over the insolvent H.A.J. Schulz & Co. Dispite this Knackstedt & Nather declared bankruptcy in 1910. Within six weeks their old facilities would be revived as Knackstedt & Co.
The Knapp Co. 1888-1929
Joseph F. Knapp started as an apprentice at the lithographers Savony & Major and by 1854 he had become a partner. The firm was renamed Savony, Major and Knapp, engravers, manufacturers, and lithographers three years later but by 1864 it was just Major & Knapp. As Joseph F. Knapp became more interested in the insurance business (he was a director of the Metropolitan Insurance Co.) his son Joseph Palmer took over more of the printing and by 1888 it became know as the Knapp Company. After his father’s death in 1891 Joseph P. Knapp took control of the business and a year later consolidated a Trust with the major lithographers of Donaldson Brothers of New York, F. Hepponheimer’s Sons of Jersey City, George Harris & Sons of Philadelphia, and the smaller New York printers of G. H. Buek & Co., Schumacker & Ettlinger, Witsch & Schmitt, and Lindner, Eddy & Clauss. Knapp became the first President of the new American Lithographic Company and they soon began expanding into publishing magazines, and a newspaper. His old Knapp Co. became the art publishing branch of the new firm in 1900 producing many posters, prints, and postcards. In 1929 they merged with U.S. Printing & Lithography to become Consolidated Graphics.
Knight Brothers, Ltd. (1904-1908)
A publisher of chromolithographed and hand colored real photo postcards. Their cards were produced in series that included Truelove River, Mirror, Beautiful Britain, Royal Navy, Sweet Old Stories, Spirit of the Past, London Theatres, Tiny Mothers (children with dolls), British Views, Horses, Railway, Cavalry, and Greetings.
Knorr & Hirth (1862-)
A large publishing house that began printing postcards when they became popular through the tricolor process.
Knott’s Berry Farm 1940-
Walter Knott opened a roadside produce stand along State Route 139 in the 1920’s to sell the berries from his farm, which would latter included an unusual hybrid that he called the boysenberry. To help make ends meet in the Great Depression he and his wife established an eatery where boysenberry pie was a staple. As Route 139 became heavily trafficked and news spread of this wonderful pie, he had to find a way to placate the crowds now waiting to be seated. Walter gathered abandoned buildings from nearby ghost towns and by 1940 he had created a new one on his property for his customer’s amusement. Rides were later added to the ghost town and the site grew into a tourist destination known as Knott’s Berry Farm. As it became a regular business they began to publish many artist signed postcards of the attractions. Their early cards had a dull but pleasant finish, but they were eventually replaced by more brightly colored photochromes. By 1968 it had grown so large they added on an admission fee. In 1995 the jelly and jam portion of their business was sold off to ConAgra, and in 1997 Cedar Fair purchased the amusement park destroying many of the older rides to fit in modern thrill rides.
S.H. Knox & Co. 1884-1911
Seymore Horrace Knox went into partnership with his cousin Frank Woolworth to open his first five & dime store in Reading, Pennsylvania in 1884. He continued to open more stores until he became the second largest chain in the United States. Knox is noted for opening the first five & dime in an urban setting, Detroit. As interest in postcards grew Knox not only became a major distributor of cards through his stores but a publisher as well. In 1911 his stores were incorporated into the F.W. Woolworth & Co. chain.
Hubert Kobler (1908-1918)
Published artist signed cards on a variety of subjects including animals, military subjects, biblical stories, and views of Palestine. They were a user of an early type of process printing in line block.
Louis Koch (1860’s-1901)
A studio photographer of views, portraits, and types. In addition to selling photographs, Koch produced a great many stereo-views. In the 1890Ős he began turning many of his images into black & white collotype postcards, which most of were printed by Knackstedt & Nather. While these cards tended to captured local architecture, he also became well known for his images of ships that passed through this busy seaport. His popular images continued to be used on postcards after his death in 1901. There are also some later dated photographs attributed to him, which brings into question his actual date of death.
Louis Koch 1869-1945
This large fine art lithographic printing firm, began producing collotypes in the mid-1890’s, which was followed soon after by work gravure. They became a major printer of postcards, mostly views, some of which combined printing techniques. After World War One they continued to produce cards but these were usually printed in offset lithography or as real photo cards. During World War Two their factory was heavily damaged shutting down production. In 1946 Willi Koch revived the family business under his own name at a different location. They printed postcards until at least 1951.
Koch & Bitriol (1900-1905)
Publishers of artist signed greeting cards in chromolithography as well as black & white view-cards, some of which were hand colored. Many of these cards were issued in series. They also produced many cards of actors and actresses. Adelbert Bitriol, who took the photographs for this company published postcards solely under his own name until at least 1908.
Koch & Palm (Kopal) (1896-1918)
This publisher and commercial printing firm founded by Fritz Koch and Dr. Phillip Palm produced many calendars, novelties, greeting cards, and artist signed postcards in chromolithography. Some of their latter cards were printed as tinted collotypes. Many of their cards were issued solely under the Kopal trademark.
Paul C. Koeber Co. (PCK) 1900-1923
Published national view-cards and illustrations in chromolithography and in black & white. Much of their color work has a dark heavy feel to it because of the many thick layers of ink they used. In their later years they published postcards using tinted halftones.
Joseph Koehler 1892-1911
Founded as a printing firm, they later began publishing view-cards in both continuous tone and tricolor lithography as well as real photo cards. They have been well known for their early hold to light cards, mechanicals, and exposition cards, ever since publishing an unofficial card set of the 1893 Columbian Exposition. All their postcards were printed in Berlin, Germany.
While most companies gave up the more expensive chromolithographic printing method in favor of the cheaper halftone process, Koehler had been a pioneer in tricolor technology and returned to producing chromolithographs. These pieces have a very distinct style to them and are what Koehler is now best remembered for.
Koelling & Klappenbach (1880’s-1906)
These publishers produced postcards in tinted collotype with an extra blue plate that were manufactured in Germany.
Herman Kohle (1897)
Published 16 different views of New York City and State as early Souvenir cards in elaborately tinted halftone lithography with muted colors. Despite the small size of the image, the cards were printed too large to qualify for the penny rate under the new Private Mailing Card regulations of 1898. Because of this many cards were trimmed down often removing the publishers name, but they can be identified by their distinct linear border surrounding the picture. These cards were latter reissued with Christmas and New Year greetings printed on them in German and seperate set was made with Beardsley Shredded Codfish advertisements on their backs.
Hubert Kohler (1901-1911)
An early publisher of high quality artist signed chromolithographic postcards. Many of these cards utilized metallic inks in their imagery. They produced many cards with scenes from fairy tales.
Kohn Brothers 1898-
The Kohn brothers, Solomon, Adolpf and Alfred founded this firm (Bruder Kohn) in 1898 and it soon grew to become the largest publishing house within the Austrian Empire. They produced a wide variety of cards in different mediums but are best known for their many artist signed cards from notables such as Raphael Kirchner, Mela Koehler and Fritz Schonpflug. The Weiner Werkstatte commissioned them to print some of their postcards. In 1938 they became an arisierte business and the family would be deported in 1942, eventually meeting their deaths at Auschwitz in 1945. The daughter of Solomon Kohn, Minna Pixner, escaped to England and re-established the firm after the war in 1949. Their cards are usually only marked with their initials, B.K.W.I.
Kokkei Shimbun (1907-1909)
This satirical magazine published 30 color cut out postcards as inserts to 26 issues. They have cartoon jokes in the stamp box relating to the image on the front. Many of the images found on these unusual cards are very strange without an understandable narritive. Some cards have violent or erotic overtones while others just seem decorative.
Kolb Brothers Studio 1903-1976
Photographers of the Grand Canyon. They published many real photo and printed postcards from their work, including portraits of famous people posed at the canyon rim. They were known for seeking out unique vantage points to shoot from well beyond the range of the average visitor.
G. Kolff & Co. (1852-1922)
Gualtherus Johannes Kolff moved to the Netherland Indies in 1850 and opened a bookshop at Batavia two years later. Soon after he began publishing various lithographic produts eventually including postcards. These cards included chromolithographic and monochrome images of local views and types. These cards gained a wide audience and Kolff later opened offices in Bandung and in Amsterdam.
Edmond von Konig G.m.b.H. & Co. (1903-)
A fine art publisher of prints and books. They also produced many postcards of local views. These range from early chromolithographs to hand colored real photo cards by the 1950’s.
J.C. Konig & Ebhardt, AG (1914-1998)
An important publisher of printed products including postcards. They printed banknotes for the Reichsbank between 1918 and 1923. In 1998 they were purchased by Printcom.
Koppel Color Cards 1960’s
A major publisher and printer of photochrome postcards.
Kopper Kard Co. 1950’s-
An engraving and embossing company. They are best known for their postcards made from copper dug out of the nearby open pit mine at Bingham Canyon. While these Kopper Kards are described as being engraved, the copper is actually only embossed and then folded over a paper card stock backing. They produced many images with Western themes but a whole range of other topics were captured on these cards as well. Since these cards were largely purchased for souvenirs rather than mailing, most are now difficult to date.
Kornsand & Co. 1893-
These book publishers were founded as Wusten and Kornsand in 1891, changing their name two years later. They later began to published postcards and continued through the First World War.
H. O. Korton (1909-1919)
A publisher of a large number of view-cards depicting Long Island, New York. Many of these tinted collotypes have the feel of being hand colored.
A publisher who created a variety of chromolithographic postcards with a limited pallet. They are known to have produced some hold to light cards and some very early view-cards of New York City. Kosmos also had an office in Munich where their cards may have been printed. Some cards may have also been produced in conjunction with Emil Storch in Vienna.
Kraemer Art Co. 1902-1955
The brothers Albert Otto and George A. Kraemer began publishing private mailing cards in 1898 under their own name. They used many of the same images for the souvenir books they published as well. By 1902 they had founded the Kraemer Art Company that produced art reproductions, sheet music, calendars, and panoramic prints in addition to holiday postcards and regional view-cards. Though many were rendered in black & white and monochrome, the firm was known for their bold hand colored cards with a very discernible RGB pallet produced in Berlin, Germany. During World War One they merged with the George Schorr Company. After the last Kraemer brother died in 1926, Schorr took over the business.
Otto Krebs 1856-1901
Adolph and Otto Krebs founded the lithographic printing house, Krebs & Brother in 1856. Adolph left the firm to serve as an officer in the Union Army during the Civil War. Afterwards he moved back to Cincinatti, where he had once worked as a lithographer, and joined the firm Ehrgott & Forbriger. Otto continued to run the business in his own name until his death in 1889. The firm shut down a couple years later. They printed all sorts of lithographic materials including cards.
Fritz Kranskopf (1930’s)
This photographer published black & white and monotone view-cards from his own work in rotogravure with a untypical pattern.
Kraus Manufacturing Co. (1912-1930)
A publisher of halftone lithographic view-cards and many cards related to the theater including vaudeville acts. These cards were printed in black & white, monotones, and some with color rolls. They are not of the best quality.
C. F. Theodore Kreh 1897-1898
Published 26 Souvenir cards of New York City as simple tinted lithographs. Many of these images were latter reissued as private mailing cards.
S. H. Kress & Co. 1896-1981
A publisher and large distributor of postcards through their national chain of Five & Dime stores. They were purchased by Genesco in 1964 who slowly began shutting the business down.
Krille & Martin (1906-1920’s)
Printer of view-cards in color lithography. After World War One most of their cards seem to have been printed in monotone heliotype.
E. C. Kropp Co. 1907-1956
A publisher and printer that began producing chromolithographic souvenir cards and private mailing cards in 1898 under the name Kropp. These cards were of much higher quality than those that would printed under the E.C. Kropp name.
They became the E.C. Kropp Company in 1907 and produced large numbers of national view-cards and other subjects. Their latter linen cards had a noticeably fine grain. Sold to L.L. Cook in 1956 and they are now part of the GAF Corp. U.S.
Kummerley & Frey 1890’s-
This cartographic publisher founded by Hermann Kummerley has become renown for their well printed maps. But they also produced a number of fine lithographic postcards.
Künzli Brothers & Co. (1897-1965)
Anton and Joseph Künzli were originally art dealers in Zurich that began publishing high quality chromolithographs in 1881. In 1897 they bought out the postcard business of their printer Müller & Trüb in Aarau, and began producing art cards, greetings, and Gruss aus view cards of Germany, Austria, Italy and the Orient. Their later cards were printed in Germany by Emil Pinkau & Co.
After purchasing the firm of their nephew, Carl Künzli in 1899, the Künzli brothers published under the name of A. G. Postkartenverlag Künzli Zürich until 1914. At the same time, they cooperated with printers from England, France and other countries to produce postcards. Kunzli Freres or just K.F. in Paris became an important printer of lithographic artist signed cards covering many subjects. Many of these postcards were published in series such as the popular tinted halftone set depicting events of the Russo-Japanese War, and the glamour cards of Angelo Asti. Another related establishment, Kunzli Hermanos y Cia, was set up in Barcelona, Spain in 1914. It seems that around 1905 the Künzli Brothers abandoned the postcard business but continued publishing art and religious prints.
Carl Künzli 1890-1899
Carl Künzli was a publisher that began producing high quality Gruss aus cards under his own name in 1890. While most of his cards presented traditional views in the vignetted format, some took on playful aspects. These lithographic cards were mainly printed by Emil Pinkau & Co. in Leipzig. After selling his firm to his uncles, the Künzli Brothers in 1899, the name was changed to A. G. Postkartenverlag Künzli Zürich, and Carl took the position of Director where he served until 1903.
Carl Künzli-Tobler 1903-1925
In 1903 Carl Künzli left the Künzli Brothers to start his own publishing company. With partners Bertha Künzli née Tobler and Elisabeth Tobler (in-laws?), they founded Künzli-Tobler & Cie, Zürich. This name was changed to Carl Künzli-Tobler in 1907. They produced view-cards in lithography, photo-chromolithography, and as monochrome collotypes. After Carl’s death in 1925, the company continued under his son Max as Carl Künzli-Tobler’s Nachfolger.
Max Künzli 1925-1974
Max Künzli had been part of the management at Carl Künzli-Tobler since 1918, and he took over the company 1n 1925 after his father’s death. While he reregistered the firm as Max Künzli, he seems to have sometimes used the name, Carl Künzli-Tobler’s Nachfolger as well. While they continued to published view and greeting cards, their best known series was of anthropomorphised dressed cats drawn by Eugen Hartung that appeared in the late 1940’s. They were originally referred to as the K¨nzli Cats, but became better known as the Mainzer Cats after Alfred Mainzer Inc. of New York acquired the rights to the work. Max Künzli continued to print the dressed cats until Mainzer found a new printer in Belgium. Max’s son Raymond came to head the company in 1965, and he continued to use the Max Künzli name on cards after his father died the following year. The company closed in 1974.
Josef Kuss (1932-1972)
A photographer who published many real photo view-cards of local scenes. Many of these images have strong bold compositions. His shop later became known as Foto Kuss.
Kutzner & Berger (1898-1900)
Published a variety of fine cards from international views to maritime scenes in chromolithography. Produced many artist signed cards by Willy Stower depicting the German Navy.
Adolfo Kwasny (1907-1908)
A publisher of black & white and dutone view-cards in collotype.