|Publishers Home History Glossary Guides Artists Techniques Topicals Warfare Blog Contact|
C - PUBLISHERS page 2Back to Page 1
Columbia Card Co. (1910-1913)
Publisher of view-cards of Oregon in tinted collotype. These cards were printed in Germany.
Commercial Art Post Card Co. (1921-1933)
Published white border view-cards of Brooklyn and Queens, NY in tinted halftone.
Printer of tinted halftone view-cards, most depicting scenes from the American Mid-West.
Commercial Colortype Co. (1904-1922)
A publisher of holiday cards, national view-cards, and postcards depicting American Indians in tinted halftones.
Commercial Photo Art Co. (1910-1919)
A publisher of black & white view-cards depicting scenes from southern New York to Long Island.
The Co-Mo Company (1919-1928)
The owner H.P. Montgomery published regional view-cards as tinted halftones and more unusually as real photo postcards.
Company of Photo-Mechanical Arts (CAP) (1916-1969)
This photo agency, Compagnie des Arts Photomécaniques published a large number of real photo postcards. Many of these cards were hand colored in a highly mannered style. They also produced printed cards in collotype, rotogravure, lithography, and some that were hand colored. In 1932 they bought out the studios of Ferrier-Soulier along with Levy & Neurdein reunis to become the largest postcard publisher in France. They had relocated to Paris after World War One, and now they would move to Schiltigheim, a suburb of Strasbourg, under the name Compagnie des Arts Photomécaniques Strasbourg-Schiltigheim. They were later renamed Compagnie Alsacienne des Arts Photomécaniques Strasbourg. In 1969 all their work was added to that of the Roger-Viollet Photographic Agency.
Continental-Caoutchouc & Gutta-Percha Co. 1871-1929
This firm was founded for the production of rubber products and primarily produced impermeable sheets and solid tires. In 1892 they created the first pneumatic tire for bicycles, and by 1898 they were producing them for automobiles as well. While the continuous innovation and production of tires was their main business, they produced other important materials such as the airbags used in airships. Both posters and postcards were extensively used to promote their products, and many fine artist signed cards were made. In 1929 they merged with a number of other rubber companies to form Continental Gummi-Werke AG. Though their factories were badly damaged through bombing during World War Two, they quickly recovered and continue to produce tires. Though they subsequently went through further name changes as they acquired many other firms they are still generally known under the Continental name.
H.T. Cook (1907-1914)
Published postcards that centered on military themes ranging from the Great White Fleet to World War One. Most of these tinted and monotone collotype cards were printed in Germany.
Richard M. Cook (1905-1930)
A local jeweler who published a large amount of postcards depicting the town of Marblehead, MA. While some of his cards tend to be nondescript, he published an exceptional series of boldly hand colored collotype cards in his early years that were manufactured in Germany. Many of these cards are characterized by diffuse image borders.
Alf Cooke & Sons 1872-
A publisher and printer of various items including postcards. Many different artist drawn images could be ordered from them to be printed up as either posters, hand bills, or postcards. They manufactured many Valentines for the Woolworth five & dime stores. They are now owned by Bonar Imca.
H. Montague Cooper (1890’s-1915)
A photographer that began his career by producing studio portraits and carte de visite. Later he began turning his images into real photo postcards and hand colored collotypes that were printed in Germany. His postcards usually depict towns and events, and he is noted for including many people in his compositions and sometimes even his own car.
Copp, Clark Publishing Co. Ltd. 1885-
Hugh Scobie began this business in 1841 as a stationer. Soon afterwards he began publishing a newspaper, The British Colonist, and then went into bookbinding producing Canada’s first almanac. This business was eventually sold and went through a series of owners, mostly former employees, creating a number of name changes over the years. William W. Copp and Henry J. Clark finally purchased the company in 1869 and gave it its present name in 1885. While they began printing a wide range of lithographic materials including labels and games in addition to books, most of their postcards were made as hand colored collotypes. The business was destroyed by fire in 1904 but they rebuilt and continue to publish.
A publisher of many postcard nudes with blank backs. They may not have been photographers at all but a reprinting company that reproduced the work of a number of other well known photographers all under the Corona name.
Cory Post Card Co. (1900-1912)
An early publisher of souvenir view-cards depicting New York City in tinted halftone. These cards were printed in the United States.
Edmund Neale Coverly (1920’s)
A publisher of fine tinted collotype view-cards that were printed in Saxony.
Cramers Kunstanst (1904-1940)
A fine arts book publisher that also produced postcards ranging from early Gruss aus to black & white and sepia collotypes, some of which were hand colored.
Crandell’s Studio 1921-1959
Sold the photographs and real photo postcards of the landscape artist Harrison Crandell, better known as Hank. In 1924 he became a homesteader at Jenny Lake but was forced to move in 1929 when the area became part of Grand Teton National Park. Although he spent a number of years in Boise, Idaho in order to send his children to school, most of his work was centered around the Grand Tetons. Crandell produced a wide range of work. In addition to his landscapes and panoramas he shot many studio portraits, especially of tourists posed in Western garb. He also produced a number of painted scenes of the area as well.
Crescent Embossing Co. (1896-)
This paper goods firm was founded in 1896 by Fred C. Lounsbury, a novelty salesman. Beginning in 1907 they began to publish lithographic artist signed postcards with embossing, usually issued in untypical small sets of four. C. Bunnell was one of their best known artists who illustrated many of their patriotic cards for which the company was best known, The images on many of these cards were copyrighted under Lounsbury’s name and not the artist. They also published many advertising cards for other companies.
H. S. Crocker Co., Inc. 1856-
An early lithographer that made many different types of printed products. They produced a number of view-cards of the San Francisco area. The Disney Company contracted out many of their postcards to them. Crocker became the first company to use offset lithography in the printing of photochromes under the trade name Mirro-Krome. They are now known as Lawson Mardon Post Card with a separate printing division called Mirro Koat Products.
Cross & Dimmitt 1916-1940
Photographers Arthur B. Cross and Edward L Demmitt published real photo postcards depicting scenes of and around the Columbia River. They initially sold their cards as a set of twenty images, then eventually added individual cards to their inventory. In their latter years many of the Western images they captured were reproduced lithographically and often hand colored.
C.T. American Art
See Curt Teich Co. This like similar names beginning with the letters C.T. is not a publisher but a trade name.
Cuba Railroad Co. 1902-1959
This U.S. owned corporation not only ran freight and passenger rail service but did much to promote the colonization of Cuba by Americans along its routes through land companies. In this process they produced pamphlets that guarantied the safety of American investments and hinted at eventual annexation of Cuba to the United States while also publishing many postcards that depicted the attractive countryside. The Detroit Publishing Company printed a set of 50 postcards for them, but their name does not appear on these cards. Though there titles on the front are in English they have a typical Spanish back. Starting in 1940 the railroad was plagued by fuel shortages that led to much of its service being replaced by buses. In 1959 it was seized and incorporated into the Nationalized Railway Company.
V.B. Cumbo (1905-1911)
One of the larger publishers of souvenir photo booklets and tinted collotype view-cards depicting Gibraltar.
Cunard Steamships, Ltd. 1840-2005
Founded in 1838 by Samuel Cunard and associates as the British and North American Royal Mail Steam Packet Company. Despite heavy competition Cunard grew to become a major steamship line at the turn of the 20th century due to its reputation of reliability and safety. They published a great deal of posters and postcards to promote their Line. Many cards were just matter of fact depictions of their ships produced in a variety of manner from lithography to real photo cards. Their most interesting cards however were those that were artist drawn showing ships in various harbors. Perhaps their most famous ship was the ill fated Lusitania, whose sinking in World War One generated a number of propaganda postcards by other publishers. After acquiring other steamship lines Cunard itself was purchased by Carnival Corporation in 1998, which ended their name by 2005.
Samuel Cupples Envelope Co. (1851-)
This envelope manufacturing company was the first to utilize wood pulp. They produced many patriotic covers and entered the postcard business early enough to make cards of the Spanish American War. They publishes the official card set for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904. They are also noted for their many hold to light cards. When Cupples died in 1912 this was the largest envelope manufacturer in the United States.
Curhan Co. (1961-)
Edward C. Curhan’s printing company produced a number of lithographic postcards depicting the scenery north of Boston and especially of Cape Ann. They produced a series of maritime artist signed cards under the trade name Lith o Sketch that were drawn with the aid of shading mediums. Some of these cards were hand colored. Their cards were manufactured in the United States. They later became Curhan Printing Ltd.
A. P. Curtin (1890’s-1928)
A department store from which they sold the postcards that they published of local views. The first cards they made were issued as Private Cards printed as tinted halftones. The store was destroyed by the fire that swept through town in 1928.
Asahel Curtis Photo Co. 1911-1941
Asahel first began working at the photo studio of his brother, Edward Sheriff Curtis, which opened in 1894. Both Asahel and Edward began their careers by photographing Native Americans but in 1897 Ashhel went off to photograph the Yukon. After disputes concerning photo credits, Asahel left to form his own company in 1911. He produced over 60,000 images of Washington State and Alaska, many of which took the form of real photo postcards. He is especially known for his work around Mt. Rainier. Asahel became a strong promoter of tourism, which put him at odds with many of the environmentalists he initially worked with.
Curtis Publishing Co. 1891-
Cyrus Curtis had already been a publisher in Boston since 1872 when he moved to Philadelphia in 1876. He started a new publishing empire with the purchase of the Ladies Home Journal in 1883. By 1891 he unified his various interests into the Curtis Publishing Company eventually publishing other magazines such as The Saturday Evening Post. By the turn of the 20th century they had become the largest publishing house in the United States. While they licensed out many of the images drawn for their covers by well known illustrators, they also produced a set of postcards depicting the various stages of magazine production at their facilities. Though they began to experience financial difficulties in 1968, which led to the closure of their best known publications, they continue to publish magazines.
Cynicus Publishing Co. 1902-1916
Martin Anderson began his career by illustrating satyrical books during the 1880’s. In 1898 he began working for Blum & Degan where designed court sized postcards. By 1902 Anderson decided to form his own company and began placing some of his satyrical cartoons on lithographic postcards signed under the pseudonym Cynicus. While these cards were primarily designed for local seaside tourists he also published Christmas cards and view-cards, some of which were generics. All his cards were artist drawn and some of these were created by other illustrators such as James Douglas. In 1911 his firm began to fail and he tried to restart it in Leeds with only minor success. He moved again in 1914 to Edinburgh but only managed to publish a handful of postcards there before closing for good.
Czechoslovak Legion 1917-1918
The Kingdom of Bohemia had slowly been assimilated into the Hapsburg Empire, but when Austria and Hungry became duel monarchies in 1867, Bohemia did not receive the autonomy it had hoped despite being the third largest ethnic group in the empire. This strengthened the independence movement of Bohemian Czechs, and they were soon allied with Moravians and ethnic Slovaks who had the same aspirations. When World War One broke out, many Czechs saw this as a chance to gain independence, and a number of Czech Legions were formed in foreign nations to fight against Austria-Hungry. While the largest of these comprised of former prisoners of war held in Russia, volunteers for the Czech cause had been sought in the United States since 1915. A more serious effort began after America entered the War in spring 1917, when General Milan Stefanik arrived and a Czechoslovak recruitment office was opened in the United States. As the propaganda war began, the artist Vojtech Preissig produced a number of patriotic posters to help support this effort that the Wentworth Institute in Boston turned into a large series of postcards. These cards were reissued a number of times, and because of this some images have varied overprinting.
Czech Legion Committee (1920)
At the outbreak of the First World War the many Czechs who had emigrated to Russia petitioned the Czar to form their own national unit and in 1914 the first Cheshskaya Druzhina was established. As the war progressed these legions swelled with Czech deserters and prisoners of war who switched sides. Many of these legionaires were transfered to fight in France where they they joined existing volunteer units while another Czech Legion was eventually formed in Italy from its own prisoners of War. Those left in Russia after the Revolution were left in a precarious position, and they ended up fighting a new war with the Bolsheviks in Siberia, All these campaigns were captured by in art by soldiers who were active in the conflict. After the Great War ended a committee set up under J. Blazek published a large postcard series depicting the life and struggles of the Czech Legion through this artwork to raise money for a freedom memorial in the new Czechoslovakia. While there are scenes of combat, most cards depict the many varied landscapes of France, Italy, and Russia where the Legion campaigned