|Publishers Home History Glossary Guides Artists Techniques Topicals Warfare Blog Contact|
A - PUBLISHERS page 2Back to Page 1
American Photograph Co. (1908)
A publisher of picture books. They produced a series of black & white postcards in an open halftone based on the illustrations in their book The Hudson & Manhattan Tunnels.
American Post Card Co. (1903-1910)
Published view-cards of northeastern American scenes as black & white and monochrome collotypes, some with hand coloring. They also published many holiday postcards.
American Post Card Co. (1970’s-)
A publisher of New Jersey view-cards. They eventually moved to Spring Lake, NJ.
American Russian Institute 1926-1948
The American Russian Institute for Cultural Relations with the Soviet Union published all sorts of printed material, including postcards, for the stated purpose of bringing about closer ties between these two nations. In 1947 the U.S. Attorney General labeled it a Communist front group, and the following year it was deemed a subversive organization.
The American Scene 1938-1941
Published the photographs of Samuel Chamberlain exclusively for the Yale University Press. They issued 420 individual postcards in ten 30 or 60 card sets. The first and last sets numbered 1-60 and 391-420 were of Yale university. The sets numbered 61-90 of meetinghouses, 91-120 historic houses, 121-150 public buildings, and 151-150 of countryside scenes, were all from the State of Connecticut and published for their Tercentenary. The cards numbered 181-240 are of Boston, 241-270 of Concord, Lexington, and Cambridge, 271-300 of Plymouth, and 301-330 of Cape Cod. Numbers 331-390 of New York City are the only non New England card set. All cards are numbered and were printed in a warm rotogravure by the Photogravure & Color Company in New York. (see Samuel Chamberlain and the American Scene Aug 2006 in the Blog section)
American Souvenir Card Co. 1897-1898
This firm was founded in 1897 by Rudolph F. Albrecht, Robert S. Lehman, and Hans Henning. Their business plan was to issue view-cards, termed Patriographics, that would be sold exclusively in 12-card sets. These view-cards were oriented toward collectors rather than tourists, and a subscription system was even set up for purchases in advance of publication. Additional places to be covered were to be determined by demand. Though these cards were artist drawn and had designs similar to that of European Gruss aus cards, they were printed in a poor quality tricolor line block by the Colortype Company, and often suffer from poor registration. They produced 15 sets, more than any other pioneer publisher, but they were not popular and the next 15 sets they planned were never printed. The companies inventory of cards and images were purchased by the Edward H. Mitchell Company who trimmed many down and overprinted his name onto them.
American Souvenir Co. (1897)
Published a set of 12 pioneer cards of the Boston area as tinted line blocks, with multi image vignettes. They were printed by Armstrong & Company.
American Steamship Co. 1872-1925
Better known as the American Line, this steamship company ran routes between Philadelphia, Queenstown, and Liverpool. In 1884 they were purchased by the Red Star Line but retained their name. Like other steamship lines they produced a number of postcards depicting the ships of their fleet.
American Views, Inc. 1940-1963
Published black & white view-cards of New York City in rotogravure. The Company was run by Otto Kallir, owner of the St. Etienne Gallery and the Johannes Press that printed the works of Austrian and German Expressionists.
American Youth Hostels, Inc. 1934-
Inspired by the hostels he encountered while traveling in Europe, Monroe Smith founded the first American hostel in Northfield, Massachusetts in 1934. As Hosteling International USA, they would grow to about one hundred in number. In the early 1940’s individual hostels began publishing postcards for internal communication, and then to promote the many different activities they scheduled.
Johann F. Amonn 1802-
This business opened as a simple grocery in 1802, and by 1896 they had expanded into stationery. After purchasing Reigl & Company in 1898 they were all set to begin publishing, printing, and distributing postcards. Their long connection to the Alps led them to produce many view-cards of them. These cards were printed as high quality multi-colored heliographs. Prior to 1919 Trento was a autonomous State with a large German speaking population; and many postcards were published in the German language. In 1921 Amonn took over the bookbinding operations of Weigl and began producing illustrated books as well. As they incorporated many other businesses their focus changed with them. In the post World War Two years they have become primarily know for their paints and varnishes under the Amonn Group name.
Andelfinger & Co. (1899-1939)
An art publishing house who turned out books, novelty items, and postcards in a variety of techniques.
A.W. Andrée, Jr. 1893-1919
Adolphus William Andrée was a third generation photographer on the island of Ceylon. He began his career creating fereotypes at a photo studio in Columbo. By 1893 he opened up his own establishment, the Hopetoun Studio on Slave Island. Many of Andrée’s photographs were printed as monochromatic postcards in a fine collotype. His brother Bertie who worked for him as an apprentice took over the business when Adolphus died in 1910. Bertie eventually abandoned the studio to work for Plate & Co.
Charles Wesley Andrews (1904-1940’s)
A Photographer of Oregon who captured many images of its coastline. He published many of them as real photo postcards, and used other publishers to create printed postcards from his photos.
Jean Angelou (1907-1925)
A photographer of portraits and landscapes who turned many of his images into real photo postcards. Anelou became the largest early producer of real photo cards depicting nudes.
Anglo-American Publishing Co. (1886-1909)
A publisher of black & white and tinted halftone view-cards and comic cards.
Bruno Antelmann (1897-1908)
A trading company specializing in items from German colonies. They published many chromolithographic view-cards of these colonies and of Europe as well. They are noted for a private printing of official postal cards issued from German colonies in 1899. This company actively lobbied the German government to increase its overseas presence in Africa and the Pacific.
This company had its beginnings in 1898 as a marketing association promoting motor fuels, and by 1918 they were marketing Benzol, a mixture of benzene and gasoline. In 1924 they took on the name Aral and three years later introduced their distinctive blue logo. As they grew to become Germany’s largest gas station and convenience store operators they began publishing continental sized artist drawn postcards depicting views, including those of their offices and chemical works. In 2002 they became a German subsidiary of British Petroleum.
This publisher produced a wide variety of postcard types from real photo cards to hand colored rotogravure and Continental sized photochromes. During the Spanish Civil War they produced pro-Falangist propaganda cards.
The firm Aristophot Photographische Maschinendruck Anstalt, a producer of machine manufactured photographs) was formed in Leipzig around 1900. After merging with Otto Lienekampf in 1902 they became Aristophot A.G. They would open a branch at 11 Southampton Row in London, England that published cards under the name Aristophot Co. Ltd. While Aristophot produced stereo-views, most of their output was in real photo postcards issued in series, especially of actresses, children, and nudes. Many of these photo cards were hand colored and released under the trade name Lychnogravure. They also had an office in New York City and produced a U.S. Series of Eastern view-cards as tinted halftones that were printed in Saxony. They also produced a number of fine continuous toned artist signed cards as Aquarellchroms. All their cards were manufactured in their factory at Taucha, just outside of Leipzig. After they closed their remaining stock was distributed by Misch & Company.
Armstrong & Co. 1872-1904
Charles Armstrong had worked as a wood engraver in London before emigrating to New York in 1866. He formed brief partnerships with Herman Bencke, and latter Daniel M. McLellan and John E. Green, and even worked for Louis Prang. In 1872 he started his own lithographic printing firm, Armstrong & Company, but a series of fires forced him to merge with the Cambridge printer Houghton-Mifflin in 1875. He continued to print as a independent department of this firm under his original name, and sometime in the 1890’s he separated himself from them. Armstrong printed chromolithographic posters, calendars, sheet music covers, book illustrations, and trade cards and postcards. In 1897 he merged with the Moore Lithographic Manufacturing Company to form the Armstrong Moore Company. Armstrong Moore Co. in 1897. This new firm was purchased by George Walker in 1901 who continued to print material for a few years under the Armstrong name.
Helgi Arnason (1912-1944)
A photographer who published his images of local views and types as real photo postcards and color collotypes.
C.F. Artenrieth (1831-)
An old book publisher who went on to produce prints and then postcards. While they made many black & white art reproductions they also issued view-cards in chromolithography. This firm also functioned as an art dealer.
Art & Humour Publishing Co., Ltd. (1915-1937)
A publisher of illustrated children’s books and postcards. Most of these halftone lithographic cards were issued in comic sets such as Bathing Charmers, Burlesque, By the Sea, Seaside, and Now Smile, though a more limited number of view-cards were also produced. There most recognized illustrator was Fred Spurgin. Though most of these cards were printed for them in England they also distributed cards imported from Germany.
Artino Post Card Co. (1905-1915)
The company of publisher E.F. Branning who produced various card types as tinted collotypes. They are especially known for their cards of northeastern American views in color, black & white, and sepia. These cards were printed in Germany. Some of their cards carry a swastika on their backs instead of their usual indian head logo, but at a time when this symbol was not yet associated with Nazis.
Art Lithography Co. (1890-1915)
A publisher of Western view-cards. These tinted halftones were printed by the Edward H. Mitchell Company.
Art Lithographic Publishing Co. (1890-1918)
In 1888 Obpacher Brothers (Gebr. Obpacher) of Munich changed their name to Lithograhisch Artistische Anstalt, formally Gebruder Obpacher. They seem to have turned their New York office into a subsidiary with Davidson Brothers that was called the Art Lithographic Publishing Company under the management of Samuel Garre. There was an additional office in London where the firm went by the name of The Artistic Lithographic Company. Much of their output carries both names. They produced novelties, books, song booklets, calendars, reward cards and greeting cards. All their output was printed in Munich, Bavaria. S. Hungorford and the publisher John Winsch served as the firm’s co-managers in 1915 but their tenure is uncertain. Winsch may have used this connection to print his own cards through Obpacher Bros. In 1895 this firm would form their own subsidiary, the International Art Company in conjunction with Wolf & Co. to print holiday postcards and souvenirs. Garre would take over the management of this new firm. The publisher John Winsch became the firm’s co-manager around 1915.
Art Manufacturing Co. (1908-1915)
Published a wide variety of postcards types including color and black & white views, greeting and holiday cards, and political subjects. Some were made in a small panoramic format and many cards were printed with gold borders. They eventually built a new factory in Zanesville, Ohio.
Art Photo Greeting Co. (1920-1940)
A publisher of State views in black & white and color. They also produced postcards of Blacks.
Art Post Card & Novelty Co. (1915-1917)
A publisher of tinted halftone view-cards on textured paper depicting views of New York and New Jersey.
A publisher of black & white, and sepia view-cards as collotypes and photochromes. They purchased the Albertype Company in 1952. With this came the right to publish Baseball Hall of Fame cards, which they did until 1963.
Asheville Postcard Co. (1921-1982)
A major publisher of linen postcards that went on to produce photochromes. Their cards were manufactured by many different printers. This firm seems to have been founded by Lamar Campbell LeCompte and J.L. Widman though Widman soon left the company. LeCompte may have beep publishing postcards in Asheville going back to 1910, the year he moved there. After LeComte’s death in 1977 the company continued to publish postcards as well as sell novelties, but they were eventually taken over by Aerial Photography Services.
Asia Pacific Color Productions, Ltd. (1960’s-)
A major printer of photochromes. They produced postcards of Vietnam for Mike Roberts.
Associated Screen News Ltd. (1920-1956)
Originally a producer of short films on tourism and propaganda, creating many travelogues and documentaries especially on Native Americans. In 1920 they began working with the Canadian Pacific Railway to produce films, a project that led to the publishing of souvenir books and real photo postcards. In 1935 they bought out the 400,000 negatives of photographer William Notman, which greatly enhanced there inventory of images. They eventually went on to published views of far off places as Hawaii.
Association of the Artists of the Revolution 1922-1932
A post revolutionary artists association that carried on the 19th century traditions of the Russian Itinerant Artists Association. They largely focused on the working man by creating images of industry and through depictions of farmers in the fields. They began publishing illustrated postcards in 1929 producing about 800 titles. These cards were printed in color halftone lithography in a Continental size. They were closed with all other artist associations by the Central Committee of the Communist Party in 1932.
Astor House 1836-1926
The Park Hotel, built for luxurious accommodations in 1836, soon became one of New York’s most prominent Hotels. They became an early publisher of lithographic advertising cards and postcards, but by that time they were known as the Astor House after its founder, John Jacob Aster. Their cards not only depicted the Hotel but local sights and were often used to advertise tourist destinations. By the First World War the hotel was seriously showing its age and it was demolished in 1926.
Atkinson News Co. (1901-1936)
Importerters, jobbers, and publishers of view-cards depicting the White Mountains of New Hampshire as tinted halftones. Some of their cards were hand colored. In their later years they printed cards in black & white. The trade name Naturekrom was sometimes used on their cards. They marketed their cards to stores in variety packs of a hundred to be put out in displays. These cards were printed both in Germany and in the United States.
Atlas Society (1904-1909)
Published black & white and color view-cards of the United States. These cards were printed in Germany.
Auburn Post Card Mfg. Co. 1913-1929
A printer and publisher of halftone greetings, comics, and black & white view-cards of the United States. Originally named the Witten-Dennison Post Card Company, they later changed their name to the Auburn Greeting Card Company in 1929.
Austrian Red Cross 1880-
The Austrian Red Cross (Osterreichisches Rotes Kreuz) is an active part of the original International Red Cross. Like many other national branches they began publishing postcards in the early 20th century as a way to raise funds for humanitarian health needs. Their most notable card sets were issued during the First World War in tricolor lithography. Most of these were combat scenes but shown through the perspective of individual soldiers performing a variety of tasks and rarely broad scenes of the battlefield. Many of these cards border on military propaganda as they often depict Austrian soldiers in heroic situations. They were issued with and without white borders. Some cards are numbered with extensive narrative and others are not.
Autotype Printing & Publishing Co. 1886-
Printers and publishers in photogravure, collotype, and the meisenbach process. They were the first firm to use collotypes in commercial printing, a method they termed the Autotype Mechanical Process. Because of this many came to describe collotypes as autotypes (not to be confused with carbon prints).
D.M. Averill & Co. 1905-
Published their first cards for the Lewis & Clark Expo in 1905. They went on to produce tricolr postcards of views and of Native Americans.
Ayre & Sons, Ltd. 1859-
Founded as a wholesale mail-order department store. By the 1880’s they began selling photographs of local views. When postcards became popular they began publishing their own and eventually produced over 1000 images of Newfoundland, more than any other local publisher. Many of their early tinted collotypes with a blue key were printed in Germany. After Louis Haldane Ayre took over leadership of the company in 1942 he expanded the business across Canada.